It is very interesting to see how two products from the same brand works on completely different philosophy.
We had Tata Indicom- the mobile network service- which targeted the masses through its low cost plans. Doing so, they had to somehow compromise on the service. Nevertheless, it was most sought out brand in pre-Jio era by price sensitive customers.
From the same Tata group, we have Tata Sky- DTH service provider- who from the very beginning focused on quality and service, even if it meant being a tad costly than competitors. They build an image of themselves as a premium DTH brand and is top choice among urban customers.
Few things that segregates Tata Sky from other brands-
- Picture Quality- For a TV with screen size up to 32″, it may not make much difference. But for larger TVs, Tata Sky beats the competitors through its sharp picture quality
- Service- Tata Sky provides proper training to its engineers which is clearly visible in their work. Their focus is always on customer satisfaction. Off late though, other brands have also been able to provide services of equal level.
- Content- Tata Sky currently has maximum High Definition channels across all DTH brands. Their value added services such as Kids Learning, Dance Active, Movies are also top notch; keping in mind the urban consumers.
- Options- Tata Sky currently provides 4 kinds of Set Top Boxes- SD, HD, 4K and Recorder (Tata Sky+). No brand has these many options for Set Top Boxes or even if they have, they are generally not available. Their flagship product, Tata Sky+ is like the iphone of DTH market- a bit expensive, but a stand out among all Set Top Boxes.
Few areas in which I believe Tata Sky can still improve-
- Non availability of recording feature via Pen Drive in HD Set Top Box. Except, Tata Sky, all other brands have this feature.
- I found user interface of Tata Sky a bit more complex. This though is my personal opinion and experience may vary from person to person.